Thursday, June 17, 2010

Jani.

Back in IIT, there was this friend I had, Mohammed Gouse Jani was his name. He was this silent kind of guy, from an awesome family, but to be frank to the world, his family wasn’t exactly financially stable. And yes, he had more than his fair share of troubles. But he was a really nice guy, never spoke when he didn’t to, and always laughed at my jokes, no matter how bad they were. There was this smile he had on his face, a smile I never really could place.

One day, he left. He left IIT, and he never returned. The rest of his friends were as shocked as me, we tried everything we could to try to get in touch with him. We soon learnt that he had left Guwahati, to go back to Hyderabad so that he could start studying for EAMCET (The Andhra Pradesh State Entrance Examination) again. Not many people really cared that he was leaving IIT .Not many people knew him i guess. Very few did actually.

I was one of those few. But today, when I read in the newspaper, that he had topped the damn EAMCET, I let out a sigh of relief. More than that, I realised, that he actually did it. He did what he needed to do, and got one step closer to what he aimed for. What he wanted, I shall never know, but I’m glad that he didn’t lose his way. He just merely took another path. More than anything, I realized that it was wrong of me to worry about him, it was wrong of me to think that he had made the wrong choice by leaving IIT. It was wrong of me and my friends, although we did miss him, to ask of him to come back. It was wrong of us to forget what he had been through before he made the decision to leave. And for that, Jani, although I know that you will never read this, I apologize.

It’s a funny world this. The very things that we assume are rarely the most obvious. What we assume to be right, maybe not wrong, but it doesn’t mean that it’s the only thing that’s right. The very choice that we assume to be right from the very beginning, doesn’t really have to be the ‘right’ one. In many cases, there is no right choice. There are only different ones. And that knowledge, I now know, makes all the difference in how we look at them.

Ciao :)

1 comment:

  1. Dznt ds sound a l'il strnge??
    I myself checked the details after reading this post...Its true yet hard to believe!!! Why do u think he could have gone for this alternative?

    ReplyDelete